SEO Keyword Research Methodology
What’s the methodology behind your SEO keyword research? Do you brainstorm on paper and then check the rankings in a
keyword planner? That’s a good foundation, but keyword research for SEO optimization is more than simply choosing words or phrases that rank high. If you merely pick and choose high-ranking words you find, you’ll certainly rank for something but it may not be the something that leads potential clients and customers to your business.
The better method for SEO keyword research utilizes specificity. A company must ask questions like, “Does this keyword truly fit our brand or service offerings?” If it doesn’t, you’re doing a lot of work for very little payoff. If it does, you’ll likely see a better conversion rate for web traffic.
Beyond the Basic Method: 7 More Tips for SEO Keyword Research
Now that you know researching marketing or SEO keywords takes more than just a choice among rankings, it’s time to get further into the nitty gritty details. Read up on these seven great tips for even better SEO keyword results:
1. SEO Keyword Research Mining – Don’t stop at Google when gathering keyword ideas. There are many resources out there that offer free ideation, as well as programs you can pay for more detailed analysis within your industry and focus. Within a few minutes, you can fill a spreadsheet full of ideas. See keyword research mining here
2. Keyword Phrase Relevancy – Here’s where you take a broad term like “social media” and focus it down to something more like “social media marketing on Facebook.” Where the broad term might rank high numerically (tens of thousands of searches per month), it won’t set you apart. Nor will it bring the right target audience to your website.
3. Paid Search – Companies sometimes opt for a paid search, forgetting SEO altogether. However, a company sees more traffic when combining inorganic and organic searching.
4. Inserting the Keyword Phrase – After your SEO keyword research is complete, you’ll be writing new pages for your website that incorporate the chosen phrases. Be sure that the chosen phrases work seamlessly with your company and goals. Otherwise, it can be difficult to use the phrase more than once in a page.
5. Website Traffic – After incorporating content with keyword phrases, it’s critical to assess how the phrases are working. Has web traffic increased? Which page/phrase is most successful? Are there phrase alternates that draw traffic? Rework your SEO keyword research once you consider these questions.
6. Use Opportunities for an Internal Link – For every page of content you add, try to link it back to other articles and pages and vice-versa. A few internal links will help the overall ranking.
7. Strengthen the CTA – Now that you’ve put time and money into SEO keyword research, writing, linking, etc. don’t let it go to waste! Include a CTA (call to action) about your business services or simply how to contact you for more information.
The End Result of SEO Keyword Research
Even practicing these expert tips for keyword research won’t guarantee that your webpage lands in the #1 spot on Google for any number of words. However, a #1 spot doesn’t guarantee a million visitors, either. That’s why search engine optimization is only one factor in getting new traffic to your website and turning that traffic into revenue.
Expert SEO Keyword Research
Some companies opt out of trying to decipher the world of SEO keywording, and that’s okay. There are plenty of resources for outsourcing your needs, including OnPoint. OnPoint online marketing isn’t just a web marketing team; They provide Sacramento SEO services and it’s a team dedicated to converting your traffic into sales and ensuring the success of your business.